Sunday, June 24, 2012

Forecasting Grief

I have been struggling quite a bit lately with looking into the future and fearing it.  This is a struggle I used to have in my teens and early twenties that God delivered me of.  But for some reason, it has reared it's ugly head again.  I think it comes partly from having a deep fear realized in the death of my brother, Rocky, and also in the unanswered cry of my heart to have children.  Ultimately, I've had a hard time trusting God and relinquishing all of it back to Him.  So, right now I'm still in the process...

Today I am finding quotes for the paper due shortly in one of my college courses.  In the book by Elisabeth Elliot, "Keep a Quiet Heart," she shares these two separate poems that I thought I would pass along.  Both of them warn against borrowing tomorrow's troubles and forecasting grief in your life.

Anonymous
I've many a cross to take up now,
And many left behind;
But present troubles move me not,
Nor shake my quiet mind.
And what may be to-morrow's cross
I never seek to find;
My Father says, "Leave that to me,
And keep a quiet mind."

The Discharge by George Herbert
God chains the dog till night; wilt loose the chain
And wake thy sorrow?
Wilt thou forestall it, and now grieve tomorrow,
And then again
Grieve over freshly all thy pain?

Either grief will not come, or if it must,
Do not forecast;
And while it cometh, it  is almost past.
Away, distrust;
My God hath promis'd; He is just.

1 comment:

Missy said...

I love the book, "Keep a Quiet Heart". It has really ministered to me, as well. It is my desire, also, to be a woman of unshakeable strength... even in those times when we have a cross to bear. These poems are beautiful, Mel. Thanks for sharing your heart. I love you!