Saturday, July 30, 2011

Front Yard Landscaping Project

Wow - what a boring name for a post! But the pictures below do show my front yard landscaping project. I would say it's about 1/3 to 1/2 done but it takes money for these projects so I had to stop at some point this year. Plus, it was getting WAY too hot outside by late May when I put most of these plants in the ground.

The first picture shows the front yard from our front steps and off to the left you can barely make out the weeping willow which for me will be the focal point some day. I may add a pond by it but that will definitely be for another year.

The weeping willow was mistreated from the start because I didn't immediately realize I needed to water it every day and it got terribly hot the day after it was put in the ground. I have watered it faithfully since that first week but it definitely sustained some damage with top branches dying. I need to do a pruning job. Thankfully there has been a lot of new life branching out from the bottom so I think it will be okay. This weeping willow was planted in memory of my brother Rocky on the first anniversary of his death (5/20).

Other plants I put in are hostas, two colors of carpet roses, one lorapetalum (small burgundy/brown plant behind and to the left of the weeping willow which will grow to be about 4-5 ft by 4-5 ft). I transplanted monkey grass (liriope) and Variegated Solomon's Seal from other places in my yard. I plan to put in more shade loving plants under the trees behind the weeping willow and towards the road - hostas, azaleas, hydranges, etc, and also transplant more monkey grass to fill in along the driveway.

Mark pulled in from work while I was taking the pictures. You can't make him out very well but I assure you he is handsome! :-)

Here are some pictures of the salmon colored carpet roses. There are three of them in a grouping. On the other side of the weeping willow I planted three red carpet roses. They are beautiful and an easy care variety so hopefully will not give me too many problems. They have bloomed off and on for two months so far and will hopefully continue at least into September. We shall see!



Another angle - by the way, all the rocks you see in the landscaping are from our property. We believe they were found back in the woods behind us by previous owners before it was cleared to make way for a development that is now there. It's definitely been a blessing to have all these rocks without paying for them!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

It's looking so beautiful, Mel! I love weeping willows, and it will be fun to see it as it grows. What a special memory for Rocky. It's fun to see it all taking shape. Next you can come and help me with MY yard. :)