Monday, December 30, 2013

Candy Cane Sugar Scrub

I made this sugar scrub for Christmas gifts this year.  Here is the recipe for anyone who would like to try making it themselves.


Ingredients
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbls. white sugar
2 Tbls. powdered candy canes or starlight mints
1/4 cup grapeseed or almond oil
1 tsp. vegetable glycerin (optional as a preservative)
20 drops essential peppermint oil

Mix the sugar and powdered candy together first.  It works best if you grind up the canes/mints in a food processor until fine.  If you don't get it fine enough it will gum up the scrub.  Add the oil, glycerin (optional), and peppermint oil and mix thoroughly.  I used a high quality peppermint oil.  If you use a lower quality oil you may need to add more than 20 drops to your preference.  One other note - add more or less grapeseed or almond oil if it is too dry or too wet for your taste.

WARNING:  Be careful about using this in the shower or tub where you could slip as it is oily.  You can use it on your face if you are not too sensitive, but is definitely good for hands and feet.

Oh - also here is the link for the jars that were used.  The amount for this recipe fits exactly in a 4 oz. container.  My sister-in-law might suggest you look for a plastic container as unfortunately her glass jar broke. :-)

4 oz Wide Mouth Ball Jars at Target.com

1 comment:

Miss said...

Melinda, I have been enjoying this SO much this month. I've already used about 2/3 of the jar. It is heavenly. :) I love the peppermint smell so much. Thank you again!

I'm going to have to start making it in bulk to keep up with all my baths I take. :)